Final Exam
1. The first logo I would like to talk about is the Jeep logo. From what I could tell, Jeep was one of only five companies on the list who's logo is the actual name and font itself. I believe the makers of Jeep have wanted to keep the design simple for a long time. Jeep is more than just the name of a company-it's the name of a car too. Sure, they have names CJ, TJ, Wrangler, etc. But when you hear the name Jeep- an immediate picture comes to mind. You don't hear people saying "I'm going to take GM out for a ride." Owners of jeeps are very particular about keeping the integrity of the jeep. Though this has changed somewhat in recent years, Jeeps kept a simple design in both the interior and the exterior. I believe this reflects in their logo. There probably isn't a more simple logo on the list than that of the Jeeps. Just "Jeep. Simple and tough looking.
2. I next wanted to evaluate a car that incorporated both a logo and a font- but where the font stood out more. I will evaluate the Smart Car. First off, I think this is a great name from a marketing standpoint. In todays world where gas prices aren't as cheap as they were ten years ago, the name "Smart Car" implicates that this is going to be a fuel efficient car. So even before seeing a logo, the name itself catches our attention. The font- which is very similar to the HoratioDMed font has a futuristic look and feel to it. The font works for me as it captures the look and feel of the car. The logo i didn't care so much for. There is an arrow on the right side of the logo, which I'm guessing represents the company looking forward. I feel that the brand would be better served to not have the logo. It doesn't represent the feel of the car. Many of the publications that I looked at for the Smart Car didn't even have the company's logo in it.
3. The last logo discussed will be the BMW logo. This to me contrasts the previous two logo's in that though both a font and a logo are incorporated, the logo is much more reconizable. I'm not sure if there is a brand more reconizable for a sports or luxury car than a BMW. Even if you are far away from the vehicle you can tell from a good distance what kind of car is being driven. The design of the logo is pleasing to the eye. You have a perfectly symmetrical circle with colors that contrast each other to create a unique look that is not easily duplicated. Just as the Jeep logo can survive and even thrives on not having a logo, I believe that BMW wouldn't have to include a font to differentiate itself- the design of the logo is a great representation of the company.
Part II
1. Artifact one deals directly with the affective portion of one's self. The poster is attempting to draw raw emotion and which will result in you using the psychomotor element of acting upon the emotion you feel and donating . Cognitive effect is not used so much here. You already know why you are at the event so the poster doesn't need to so much inform you but rather draw you to it. In this poster, the bottom of it seems show darkness and destruction. As you get higher you notice sunshine and birds which bring to mind hope and happiness.
2. This artifact does draw a little bit of the cognitive effect into it by giving you information on a website. However its main effect it is trying to draw on is the psychomotor and affective effects. The picture draws your attention right away and opinions are formed right away due to the nature of the picture. The starkness of the picture is intended to motivate those who may be considering suicide to act upon their feelings that this picture represents and seek help. Many times a person doesn't feel like that they can turn to family or friends but this site allows for help only a click away. I believe that a graphic picture such as this may also affect the person contemplating suicide and possibly help them to decide a different path.
3. I believe this artifact was created mostly for the cognitive effect. Without any text in the pictures, most people would have a difficult time figuring out what the campaign is for. There is nothing in the artifacts that will cause emotion for me and make me want to act upon this and become more involved in the United Nations’ Millennium Development Goals. Though one word for each poster still doesn't give me a lot of information on the project it creates an interest to gain more knowledge on the project itself. based on the information given, that helps me understand a little more what the photo's represent and may prompt me to act based upon the information I learn from the pictures posted. Once I found out more information on the project and realized that the first letter of every word spelled out the word "possible" it did stir up some emotion in me. Possible is a word that draws up emotion of hope. It is interesting that most campaigns try to draw up some kind of affective effect to draw up emotion. Simple knowledge of something doesn't compel us to act, but those things that stir up emotion cause to act upon our feelings.
Part III Extra credit.
Short review here, but I thought the website did a great job of using all three of the communication effects. First of all, it was informative. It included all information all of the communication degree's. I liked the "What can you do with a communication degree portion of the site- but the one thing I guess I would have liked to see there as well was a page dedicated to different careers within that degree. Looking at that front page made me want to see more of the different careers offered in those fields. The affective portion of the website I believe was in the pictures which I believe was very affective. Most of the pictures were in black and white which I have always believed captures a raw emotion that color cannot. The pictures were also closeups which helps the person seem more personable. There is no room for our eyes to wander elsewhere but straight at the person. The darkened background uses Gestalt principles in leading our eye to the person photographed.
Friday, April 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

200 points total. Thanks for your input and good work. Be sure to meet with me before you head out on your internship.
ReplyDelete-e